As Sheffield’s house prices heat up this Summer, there’s never been a better time for South Yorkshire homeowners to initialize home improvements. In particular, North of England property prices are accelerating faster than homes in London. Why is this? Well, evident reasons include:
- The regeneration and ‘gentrification’ of Sheffield is enticing more Southerners to move up North, offering a cost-effective option for buyers with larger budgets.
- A 300% increase in Sheffield’s student population since 2001 has enabled a huge increase in first-time buyers, as more students stay on after graduating.
- With an average house price of £200,000, Sheffield ranks in the list of the “easiest locations to buy outside of London.”
Since the beginning of the 21st Century, the UK’s population as a whole has increased by 10%. Sheffield in particular is one of England’s top 10 fastest growing city centres, with a 139% increase in population between 2002-2015.
Why have people’s preferences shifted towards city living?
- An increase in high-skilled, high paying city-based office jobs.
- People want to avoid long commutes, with 32% of city residents walking to work.
- Due to a lack of rental properties London’s rents are rising almost three times faster than wages, making Northern cities a much more viable option for renters.
Sheffield’s revitalization can only be a good thing for South Yorkshire homeowners and private landlords, as it actively encourages home renovations across the region. Improvements to property will only increase property prices long term, enhancing ‘nest egg’ investments further and, of course, increasing satisfaction in the home for many years to come. From replacement windows to front & back door enhancements and conservatory roof replacements to fashionable aluminium bi-fold door systems; there’s no limit to amplifying your homes appeal.
Related to this post: 10 fundamental questions to ask your double-glazing manufacturer and installer
Savvy Sheffield homeowners are upgrading and improving their homes
If you’d like to get stuck into a home improvement project in the near future, visit our showroom, give the Global Windows team a call on 0800 610 1234 or send us a message online and we’ll be in touch soon.